Dr. C.M. Wright built this stately Renaissance revival home in 1889. It was subsequently owned by his son, also a doctor, and his grandson, an attorney. The lineage ended with the third Mr. Wright, who donated his home as a museum.
This house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is located just outside of Effingham, in Altamont.
Many of the original furnishings, including carpets, remain in the 18 rooms on the tour. The doctor's surgery, the nursey and library are particularly memorable.
Special events are held each year at the mansion, including a Wine Tasting in the fall and Christmas Tree Walk in Decemeber. Group tours are available, please call Linda Schmidt first.
The home is open April through October Sundays 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. The fee for admission is $5 for adults, and $1 for students ages 6 to 18.